GREAT NECK — On Tuesday, thirteen people, mostly teens, were treated for Carbon Monoxide exposure at the Chabad of Great Neck. One patient was hospitalized.

According to reports, the Chabad facility had multiple safety violations and did not have enough CO or smoke detectors.

Michael Uttaro, chief fire marshal for Nassau County, says there were not enough carbon monoxide or smoke detectors, and there were several violations related to extension cords, fire extinguishers and exits.

The source of the Carbon Monoxide was found to be a malfunctioning heating system.

12 girls were treated at the scene, and one 17-year-old was brought to North Shore University Hospital. All were overwhelmed, experiencing headaches and nauseous feeling.

Fortunately, the fire marshal says there was one working carbon monoxide detector.

“I think the difference between having serious injuries was that one detector that went off at 5:30 a.m. when many are sleeping and just starting their day,” Uttaro says.

The building is reportedly used for many different functions for the Chabad. The girls have been at the building for several weeks.

As reported by Vos Iz Neias